Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3b81ed7e7ccf839ac0c19bd54da9541eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Phoenix Squadron Hera Sydulla

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Phoenix Squadron Hera Sydulla Reply with quote

Hello all, I have just completed this costume so I will copy my WIP thread over from the RLUK forum. Bear with me a sec!

. . .

A new year, a new Hera. I've started work on Hera's X-wing costume as seen in Rebel Assault (the mid-season finale). I'm really excited about this one! This costume is the exact same as on of the Phoenix Squadron generic variants (there are three colourways), and the generic female model is actually built off Hera's. The whole thing is a sort of hybrid of various pilots from across the OT and ST.

The differences are the boots and the gloves - the boots are Hera's standard brown boots, so I'll just use my regular Hera boots, and the gloves are her S1-2 gauntlet style. Hera's flight cap is the exact same as her usual cap, so I will just be using my go-to S3-4 Hera cap and lekku for this.

Over christmas I built a wee chestbox - the tiniest chestbox you ever did see. A mix of 5mm and 2mm foamex. It has since been sanded, primed and painted black and now needs the four button details.

I started work on the flight vest last night. After staring at every flightvest in the 'verse I ended up deciding to sort of moosh together the TFA mae west approach to create a pseudo-ANH look with a sprinkling of RotJ b-wing for good luck.

For the base layer a used a light grey cotton which I'll also use to cover the sock thingummy attach to the chestbox. You can see the grey in the gap between the main torso of the vest and the straps. (I am anticipating being told me that this flightvest is all wrong and that I did no research, so I'm going through in relative detail. .)

The top fabric is an off-white microfibre nylon. I don't know why, but I like it and it's not so very dissimilar to the TFA/TLJ mae west nylon. You can clearly see on the turnaround above that the belt and strapping are an optic white, while the flight vest is an off-white. i attached the white to the grey wrongside to wrongside and then flipped it down so that front line is super clean. The back is the exact same. I then stitched 8 x 1.9cm channels with 1cm gaps between them. This seemed the best way to break things up while having the vest hit the bottom of my ribcage. This also a fun case of the turnaround holding a number of fun variants, so I worked off hera's in-show model.

I slotted 1cm wide strips of 5mm foam into the channels and then closed them up. For the rectangle on the backpiece I used the exact same process. I'll also use the same process for the padding over the shoulder straps. I then attached the front and back pieces at the strap, attached the top layer for the strap padding ready for the foam to be inserted. (while forgetting that I need to attach the black webbing into it, oh well.) I coverstitched...pretty much everything just to keep it all neat. And then I had to sleep. I'm planning to face the entire thing with the nylon microfibre, and I'm toying with adding a very thin layer of wadding but.. probably not because bulk.

I AM a little concerned that because I have a reasonably high a extreme waist, the space between the bottom of my ribcage and the belt may be lost. The length of this is accurate per the character model but that pesky issue of real life proportions is at the back of my mind. I have some limited leeway for shortening if necessary.

I've bought a red twill cotton for the flightsuit that is perfect, and is in the wash. I'll be patterning my flightsuit from scratch per usual. I'm weighing up just how much OT flightsuit to bring to it for a dash of realism, or whether or not to just completely ignore that. Probably ignore that.

The helmet I'm having made for me by Darren and it's looking great! It's the exact same as her S2 Wings of the Master helmet but with a little 'mohawk' strip along the centre and,, obviously, a paint job which i'll be doing. I'm hoping to get properly into this make at the end of Jan once I've cleared out all of my uni assignments and have worked out the rhythm with the current job.
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, I see how it is, Mark.

Not much to report as I'm supposed to be ignoring this project until next weekend, but my helmet came in from Darren. Hurrah!

I'm very happy! I'll be padding it out per the show. My cap already has magnets in place to keep the headgear in place, so I'll be lining up magnets in the padding to keep it in place. Hopefully it will be perfectly snug with the padding as well, so it'll be resting just right.

It was primed and spotfilled but i decided to celebrate the new (final, oh gods) trailer by stripping it back and hit it with another round of filler and sanding as it wasn't quite perfect enough for this general.

Aaaaand now we're going in for another round because I just noticed another flaw, grrrrrr
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, staring at the helmet whilst prepping and priming it and the proportions started to seem a bit weird so I went back to check my ref and the mandibles weren't right. Glue your references to your eyeballs, kids.

Once taking into account the padding that'll be added, the mandibles were hitting my lower lip when it needed to be grazing my chin. They also needed to be generally narrower, coming to more of a taper at the front with a gentle curve, and cutting under the earpiece. That then should lead into a back curve that follows on from the curve of the crown. The earpieces should a sort of soft curved hexagon.

So I had a bit of a late night panic,, mucked about with shapes before diving in and cutting the top front of the mandibles and adding a piece behind the ears. Then I panicked some more and went to bed.

First thing after I found my chill was to slice off the mandible below the ear piece. This was easier for softening the curve and maintaining the detail lines, just shunting them to a more appropriate position. I added an angled spacer to each side, though it took a few goes on the right side as they weren't completely symmetrical so I tried to even that out. Once I was happy i trimmed the underside of the mandibles, creating the tape and the cut under the ear.

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4745/28058971539_502830a978.jpg
[/img]

I had to add another bit to the back curve ont he right side to get it even. Then I built all the edging back up, and shaped it to match the ref. It was infinitely tedious.

THEN, the ear pieces which I wasn't really sure what to do, so I just started sticking stuff to them and building them up. They're not entirely evenly matched on each side, but I think they'll do?

Aaaand done. Ish. A last round of filler and sanding and then I'll work out what to do about the additional detail lines as I've got a really shaky hand which means potential disaster lies ahead. BUT. Overall I'm really please with how it's come out, I've never altered something like this before. I'm a little concerned about how robust it will be as, laugh, everything I've added is foamex as it's what I had to hand but i've done everything I can to support and strengthn it whilst keeping it neat.

For reals I need to ignore this costume until the end of the week... But it taunts me.
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's wrong it's wrong, y'know? Nothing but the best for my general, and we're meant to be all about getting that screen accurate shape. It's fully on me for not keeping closer tabs on the original build, but taking it apart and modding it was a good learning curve and experience. Or something.

Then I dropped and broke it four times. Pretty sure it's cursed. BUT. The rebuilt helmet is now primed and the base colour is curing before I get into all of the detailing. I cut the detail lines on the mandibles - the ones that continue directly from the existing detail lines - and it was.... messy. Really messy. So a lot of clean up, messing up, cleaning up, messing up etc etc, but they're serviceable now. I'm hoping that the paint job will disguise it somewhat. The rest I'm just going to achieve through paint bc I can't take going through that any more with my stupid shaky hand.

Not a lot has been done thanks to weird and insane work crunch, so I'm dubious I'm actually going to get this done in time for the show's return. We'll see.

Yesterday was glove day. I hate gloves, they're so time consuming and tedious. Hera's pilot gloves are her S1-2 gauntlet style gloves with a commband across the wrist.

I used the same brown lamb nappa that I used for all of the leather detailing, gloves, vest and boots on my S3-4 hero Hera. This way they'll match the boots and, if I ever bring myself to do it, they'll be fine to use with a S1-2 Hera. They're not perfect but they are only my third ever pair of gloves, and they're a significant improvement on the other two. The cuff is interfaced and faced so it'll stand true, and the commband is leather covered foam. I will resin cast the comm greeblies from my existing moulds. The shape isn't quite as full as her screen counterpart; I decided to cut the cuff on the fold which, in hindsight, was a poor call for her gauntlet shape. Once the flightsuit sleeve is in there it should sit fine.

Before going to bed I had a quick look at my flightvest and faced it off. The shoulders are in need of padding and have not been stitched shut. I need to go back and undo the majority of the stitching as it is just.. not straight. What a mess. I left my iron too hot without realising and it warped the top fabric around the padding. I'll have a look at it, but I'm pretty sure the only solution is starting over. HOWEVER, at least I know that the shape and proportions are all good.

In other news, I found this amaaaaazing jacket that I'm going to pimp out:

Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

Progress is inching along, slowly but surely. I'm not going to hit my target date of next monday, but i should hopefully be done in the next week or too? But who knows what fun work will throw next!

Flightsuit work.

I got my red twill from my go-to mill. It's a slightly heavier quality than my Hera hero flightsuit trousers (the golden yellow.) I had soem concern that it was too heavy, but it soften up nicely in the wash. I also picked up a beautiful golden yellow lightweight cotton for the lining. I know that flightsuits aren't typically lined, but this isn't a typical flightsuit nor a typical general. The lining is crucial to getting the trousers to get that cartoony fullness at the bottom (i manage the rest quite well with my thunder thighs, thanks.) Phoenix colours for a Phoenix leader.

As ever I drafted up my own patterns, using my Hera hero trousers and drafting up a basic block for the base. The waistline is dropped - on the turnaround you can see that it starts on the hips and skims up to the waist. I shunted the waistline down two inches and made up a three inch waistband, which places it mostly on my hips. This makes me super nervous, but was necessary as if I placed the waistband more fully on my (very high, very extreme) waist then the torso detailing would have been completely lost thanks to the flightvest.

Again I ran into turnaround inconsistencies, but heavy squinting at the show clarified that Hera's flightsuit is like the one on the left, with the abdomen panelling cutting into the waistband.

I also realised(too late, after making them entirely and doing all of the applique work, I will never learn to triple check before starting) that Hera's leg detailing is entirely different to the generic detailing as seen on the turnaround. Again, it's hard to see in the episode because Dramatic Lighting.

At the knee is the same panel that is found on her hero flightsuit.

On the thigh is an applique patch with a notch - or possibly a pocket? At the hip is another notch, which I can only think is an integrated pocket. The back pockets are the exact same as on the generic turnaround, as well as the weird and unnecessary CB bum panel.

As far as I can tell the torso is the exact same as on the generic turnaround with the angled panels and yoke, CF fastening and... I think there are some patches or pockets at the breast? Those I'm missing.

Cut, constructed. So very many seams. I went back on my fly front autopilot for some reason so lost a lot of time there, grrr, which also meant I had to add a false CF zip flap.

I'm pleased with how it's looking, though, even if the dropped waistband will forever and always make me nervous. Hopefully I can get things done soon.
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

So. I wanted to get this done two weeks ago and that didn't happen. Then I had a total stoppage when my motivation was murdered by an episode that deeply upset me (Jedi Night and no, not because That happened.) But I asked myself WWHSD, picked myself back up and powered on. I knew that if I didn't get this done I would be so disappointed in myself and would regret giving up. She's (mostly) finished now, just in time for last night's finale. It was hard and it was emotional with a lot of crying along the way, but I got her done and I'm pleased. I think that Hera would have been proud that I got it done.

So.

I finished off the flightsuit. Fully lined with golden yellow (dyed Finn TLJ shirt) cotton. THe sleeves I made sure were fully fitted to the elbow, then belled them out into the cuff. The shape is really lovely, though possibly I should have belled them out further for exaggeration The legs were gathered into an elasticated cuff like my hero Hera flightsuit. Possibly they should have been gathered properly into a flat cuff, but I decided to make it a continuity point with my jumpsuit since it is built off the same model. The stand collar grades down from the back - i think 2.5" in the back to 1.5 at the front. That may be wrong, though. Anyway, it's higher in the back than the front, and nice and wide as per the turnaround. I tried it on and it was a bit loose around the waist - typically not an issue with flightsuits, but given the dropped waist and how the belt will sit and that it is animated, i decided to nip it in and it was the best decision ever. I heart this flightsuit.

Meh, i didn't take many progress pictures, sorry.

I decided to completely remake my flightvest - a bit of a theme with this costume. The flightvest I had already made was slightly too long (and also just a bit warped from a too hot iron...). It needed to hit my ribcage. I used the exact same materials - fortunately they had a last .75m of the microfibre left - but this time I fused the nylon to the canvas to stop it sliding and wrinkling and lower the risk of overheat when pressing. With the narrower channels it came out much much sharper and significantly closer to the animated look. It is fastened by a strap that goes across the back that I just stitched on.

A new flightvest meant I needed a new chestbox. Again, I used the exact same material and just shrank the pattern down a few centimetres. I added a couple of magnets to the inside of the backing board to match up to two on the inside of the flightvest. It's such a light thing and because it's integrated into the flightvest permanently I thought it was important to have a soft way to keep it secure.

The buttons are just more pieces of foamex.

For the 'sock' - I think that's what the call it for the B-wing pilots? - I shaped some more foamex (i've got a lot of it lying around for Bo) around a can of spray paint and stabilised it with some half circles and hot glue inside. I then wrapped it with a nylon that I had dyed grey as an early option for my flightvest base before going for canvas. The 'strap' matches the fabric, so I just mocked it up out of the nylon. the emergency tab thingy and the end-caps are made from (surprise!) more foamex. The whole thing attaches to the chest box with two webbing straps glue into place.

The belt was - funnily enough! - made twice. The first time I tried to put the fastening in the centre front - that rectangle at the front looks like it's meant to be a false fastening. But it looks massively messy and awkward, and the join was so blatant it just fought the overall look. There's no visible fastening on the turnaorund or animated model. So instead I made it to fasten behind one of the webbing boxes on the side. I also realised that I had to shape it aggressively as it sits largely on the hips, skimming up to the waist. And I have a little waist and giant hips. Result: The weirdest shaped belt. The boxes were made from foamex, with the webbing strap stitched down underneath.

And then we're back at the helmet. I hate this helmet. I've painted it three time, broken it four time (clumsy) and then obviously there's all the huge alteration work I had to do. It is still not right - the crown is far too wide which means it's just not sitting right on the cap. But i don't want to alter it, it's such a huge thing. I need to remake my cap and hopefully I can adjust it to work better with the helmet. I am really really bad at painting things. Really bad. So... yeah. It'll do for now. Everything but the V's on the earpieces was taped and painted. The v's are vinyl.

I also want to replace the visor as the one I was sent is warped and covered in glue. I thought I had bought a sheet to replace it but i can't find it.

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4782/40660193251_639e647158.jpg
[/img]

Last edited by Xenadd () on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND the submission - I made a little request at the top of the description that this should be called 'Hera Syndulla - Phoenix Leader' or 'Hera Syndulla - Phoenix Squadron'. I don't know if they'll take it in consideration, but I am 99% sure that I am the first to do this look, and it would mean the world to me if they would call it one of those rahter than 'Hera Syndulla - Pilot' or something. Assuming she even clears. Here's what I sent it:

Lekku - Latex forms matching Hera's unique silhouette, painted to match green skin tone with pale green markings.

Flight cap - White nappa leather cape. Quilted central panell and central lekku sections; padded earpieces. Faced in soft suedette.

Flightsuit - Crimson heavy workwear cotton twill flightsuit. Forward angled stand collar with pointed fastening tab. Central zip with 1.5" placket. Shoulder yoke with seam detailing. Angled seams and panelled over the abdomen. Split waist band skimming the hips to the base of the waist. Integrated pockets at hips, appliqued pockets on thigh. Knee appliqued panels. Legs gathered into cuff at knee. Sleeves fitted to elbow with slight balloon to gather wrist cuff with pocket on bicep. Two rectangular applique pockets on rear.

Flightvest - White flightvest in polyester microfibre backed onto grey canvas, visible at base of shoulder. 8 front channels padded with foam. White shoulder padding. Centre back has large rectangular padding section. Fastened at the sides by a strap running the width of the back piece.

Chestbox - Small black rectangular chestbox integrated into the flightvest with black strapping. 2 rectangular panels on each side, three central channels. Two small white rectangular buttons, with a blue square abd black circle on the raised area. Attached grey b-wing style sock with endcaps and emergency tab.

Belt - White nylon 3" belt resting slightly below the split waistband of the flightsuit. Webbing boxes at the side seams. Rectangular central false fastening with two stitched arrow details.

Webbing - White polyester webbing running down sides of legs in a small white fastening box. Loosely looped around legs.

Glvoes - Brown nappa leather gloves, plain back with larger gauntlet cuffs. Padded wristband on wrist with two stud greeblies and silver and black comm greeblie.

Boots - Brown boots with match calf-length spats. Silver and brown foot guard with side studs. Left ankle has hold-out blaster holster.

Blaster - orange and black blurrg class blaster.

Helmet - Half helmet that slots over the front of the face with brown mandible padding. Main colour a light grey with darker grey detailing. Central red with yellow and pink stripes. Mirrored anti-tie yellow and black sigils on crown. Earcaps have indented channels. Clear half-visor.

[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4775/40617976352_51eb618f40.jpg
[/img]

The lighting was pretty dire - it started raining right as we started take photos. Pathetic fallacy much? I was also having a bad face day. I think this is my second worst make-up after when we did the Elstree parade and I forgot half my kit.

Godspeed, Rebels.

Darth Sunshine (Andrea)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous work, sorry it was so much trouble! Good luck with the approval! : )

Proud to be part of Kessel Base - Starblossom Delegation Leader - RLGS council member

WIP: Hera Syndulla & Jarael
Future: X-Wing Pilot | Mission Vao v2 | Way too many Padmé costumes

deviantArt | facebook
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleared! I am absolutely delighted and overwhelmed.

PArmstr (Patricia Armstrong-Krauss)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your approval. I love your Hera. Awesome job.
Calexandra ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so spot on! Well done and congrats Very Happy
RoninJedi (Ann Marie)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenadd wrote:
Cleared! I am absolutely delighted and overwhelmed.

Congratulations! It looks fantastic!
Syndulla_Antares (Daniela Botero Aldana)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

Hello, I would like to know if you have a tutorial on how to build the helmet and how to hold it without falling. Likewise, I will know how long and in diameter your lekkus are, I certify with Hera a couple of months ago but the lekku is too heavy, I suppose it is because of the measures I use. Thanks and congratulations for a very cool suit Awing
Sair (Sarah Steele)
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great costume!

Just wondering, has a formal CRL for this been approved. I've had a member ask me and I can't find one anywhere on the main website or here on the forum.

Cheers, Sair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: