Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b69212d11e497d4f9376b40cca2014fcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP ARC Trooper Echo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Animated clones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrooperTim1138 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: WIP ARC Trooper Echo Reply with quote

And here we go! I have started my build and have been maintaining a WIP thread on both the Clonetroopers Detachment and the Cloud City/Kashyyyk Base forums and thought I should be maintaining one here as well! What follows i where I am currently at:
3/4/18 Shopping! Yesterday I hit Home Depot for a few items. I wanted to make sure the bondo and the primer I picked up are OK?

Then on to the work on the helmet itself. I used the drill bit to "cut" between the holes I drilled around the edge of the visor (not recommended) and although I was able to preserve the outside face of the helmet, I believe I mangled the inside face a bit where the visor would actually be flush with the inside opening. This became even more apparent when sanding the edge of the visor area and the teeth. I assume it's quite important for this inside face to be smooth so it's flush with the visor when it's installed so as to create a clean line against the visor. There seems to be quite a variation in thickness around the visor area.

After removing the major areas left at the edge with the sanding drum on my dremel, I did the sanding mostly with 180 grit sand paper wrapped around short flat paint sticks.. The corners and teeth holes were all done with the needle files. It was helpful to have a variety of sizes and shapes. My plan is to sand the inside of the helmet around the edges of the openings to get a uniform thickness and repair the inside edge with bondo and re-sand (once the this first set of sanding is done).

In thinking about using bondo for the first time on this project I was wondering if it would be a good idea to fill the cavity created by the fin on the dome with bondo to strengthen it?

3/6/18 I think I may have figured out why part of my inside edges seemed so mangled around the visor area. On the inside the material actually flares up near the edges. I am not sure what the correct solution would be to correct this. One option would be to fill the low areas up to the flared edges and then sand out. The next would be to sand off the flared edges making the areas around the visor all the same thickness. I am not sure! The picture here doesn't do the best job of showing the flared edge I am talking about.

Throwing some bondo at this project is next on my list! Going to wash all the dust off the helmet tonight. Might not get to the bondo until next week, my respirator is elsewhere and I need to be able to let it sit in well ventilated area even after the sanding is done (not in my apartment). While I was thinking about bondo I noticed a small hole where I could see daylight peeking through in the right ear cap where the RF would attach. The material is thin there and I would be afraid that the weight of RF would break the surrounding material. I am guessing I should build up the area on the inside with bondo so it's a little more solid before I drill the hole for the RF so the washer and the RF mount have something more solid to grab onto? I thought at first the whole circular area there was meant to be cut out.
TrooperTim1138 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update- I've decided to just get this thing done! After getting Celebration tickets I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to set a deadline. I have laid out a schedule to get my ARC done before Celebration Chicago. Every other Saturday is "ARC Trooper Build Day." I have no work space in my apartment so all work will be armor parties and occupied friend's garages. (Until I move into a house) This has been my primary barrier to getting work done- I can't just work on it a little each day because I'd have to pack everything up every day and take it somewhere. Ordered the kit from KW. Should be here within 3 weeks. Will post pics and progress here on a biweekly basis. Every other Saturday is "ARC Trooper Build Day." Going to get work done on the bucket this weekend. 
TrooperTim1138 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB's Day! No time to open, work and stuff!
Also got replacement flex shaft for my Dremel, 2 visors for the helmet, rare earth magnets.
TrooperTim1138 ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have given up my original idea of creating the shoes and went ahead and ordered animated clone boots from Crowprops. Made arrangements to have someone put together an ARC backpack for me. Planning to order ARC kama from a supplier on the Clone Trooper Detachment forums.

All pieces from the KW phase 1 clone and ARC kits unloaded and wiped down (per the included instructions) with rubbing alcohol. After going through all the pieces and verifying every was there (with the included checklists), I realized that I forgot to order the suspenders and strapping kit that KW offers. I sent him an e-mail but I am pretty sure he's taking a break, his facebook page stated that the next items won't be shipping out until August.... but I have a sarlacc pit's worth of work to do before I will need the strapping so that's ok.

I also took the time to re-watch the assembly videos on http://imperialsurplus.com/index.html to get a better context on things now that I have in hand the pieces I will be working on. Did some rough trimming on the cod, butt, chest, back, ab, kidney and ARC chest. I will definitely need to shim the chest/back, cod/butt and ab/kidney pieces. I taped the cod/butt together and could fit it around my waist after leaving one side open to get it on, could get it closed but was pretty snug around my waist and I know the ab/kidney places are supposed to fit inside the cod/butt section... so shimming will happen! (After I figure out how to do such things!)*

On my list of things to pick up at the hardware store: new work gloves. The ones I have are great for light work but that utility knife scares me. Need something with a little thicker leather on the fingers. Would take just one slip of that knife to shut down this project for an extended amount of time (and I would never hear the end of it from my wife!) After working with the material, trimming with my utility knife and after watching the videos I learned that I don't really need to cut fully through the material- just need to score it and bend. Trimming is much cleaner and work goes much faster. I am keeping all the trimmings in a box incase I get super crazy and want to make sludge:

Tomorrow I am going to an armor party and in the process of figuring out how I am going to get everything there I found the missing piece for the flex shaft on my dremel. Now I have an extra un-opened dremel flex shaft. I am still not decided on what cargo box I want for this kit once it's all done. Now I am packed up and ready for the party tomorrow!
TrooperTim1138 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glorious day for an armor party with some first-class people from Cloud City Garrison and Kashyyyk Base (Star Wars Oregon)! Got a ton of trimming done on my kit while getting expert advice from Scott (NavySith). I can not over state how much it helps being connected with others in doing this project. Post will be short on pictures, I was really focused on getting as much trimming done as my hands would allow (gloves...must wear them kids- I am glad I did!).

Also, out of my apartment I was working on a cheap portable plastic table that I wasn't worried about cutting into, which made the work go faster than the trimming I was doing at home. Some of the pieces were quite difficult to cut due to the location of adjacent pieces, most notably the forearms and bicep (see below). Although I am sore from the cutting, I was sort of sad to park the kit in the storage unit where it will live when I am not working on it. Will be a few days before I can get back at it- but making progress!

TrooperTim1138 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a bit more work done this afternoon. Still need to trim all the boxes and holsters. Then all the basic trimming will be complete!

Left to trim:

Had my first unintentional cut line on a shoe strap:

I call this the "Porg and Clone Trooper bouquet"

Have to return to work for a week, then I should be back at it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Animated clones All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: