About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7b2d520676087fe2b93746747c0261bfMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Back to Naergis profile       
Viewing costume :: Jamillia
Costume

Character Profile

Jamillia
Queen
Member:  Naergi
Active Legion Member
German Base Yavin
Character Name:  Jamillia
Costume Type:  Old Republic Royalty/Senatorial
Formal/Canon
Species:  Human
Political Position:
Queen
Home Planet:
Naboo

Character/Costume Description

- Embroidered underdress:
I used the pictures from the exhibit and tiled them up to get a more or less complete, very large picture of the entire embroidery of the underdress.
Then I sat down for two weeks with my embroidery software and actually digitized my own embroidery using the aforementioned, tiled-up image as a template.
After that, it took me approximately 60 hours of work time to embroider the embroidery that I digitized to the cream cotton velvet of the underdress.
Also, I've added tight undersleeves made from black crushed taffeta to the underdress.
More on the making process of the underdress can be found here:
http://www.naergilien.info/?p=3447

- Beaded front piece:
I used a long, rectangular piece of sequin fabric, printed out a life-size picture of the original beading from the exhibit, then beaded the triangular front piece with approximately 20,000 black seed beads and cut jet beads. Also I tried to precisely imitate the 'Naboo flower' beading on top of the beaded front piece using golden beads and large, Edwardian cut jet beads.
More on that making process can be found here:
http://www.naergilien.info/?p=3376

- Overdress, penguin sleeves and collar:
I made the overdress from sturdy black cotton fabric first, then used the single fabric pieces as flat-lining for the lenght-wise crushed taffeta which, in the process, became the outside fabric for the overdress.
The overdress closes with a single snap at the very top.

The penguin sleeves were basically made the same way, just that there's an additional black satin lining in them. Also, there's the embroidered trim, which I digitized using a photo of the embroideries on the original gown as a template (like I did on the embroidered underdress).
Those penguin sleeves, by the way, are more like a cape-like structure; they don't go around the arms but just sit on top of the shoulders, covering the arms.

Then there's the collar, which I constructed using extremely durable stabilizer called 'Decovil' (which is normally used to make bags), black and cream velvet as well as cream satin lining.
The embroideries on the collar - you probably already guessed it! - were digitized and embroidered by me using exhibit photos of the original embroideries.

More pictures of the overdress, sleeves and collar can be found here:
http://www.naergilien.info/?p=3411

- The brooch:
I made the brooch using polymer clay (Fimo), a piece of real abalone and black as well as golden paint. A pin is glued to the backside of the brooch so it can be pinned to the collar.

- The headdress:
I made the headdress using REALLY thick and stable wire, which I bent into shape (using a life-size printout of the original headdress...). I then covered the wire with polymer clay (Fimo) and baked it in the oven (yes, that works!).
Afterwards I painted the headpiece - first black, then 'wiped' over with golden paint, to achieve a very antiqued look.
As for the abalone pieces - since real abalone is pretty heavy, I went a different route. I used drum wrap (that's the fancy stuff drummers use to make their drum sets look pretty ;-) ), cut it to the correct shapes, and glued those shapes to the wire/polymer clay headdress structure. Since that still seemed too whiteish, I used non-opaque nail varnish in iridescent cream, blue and pink shades and overpainted the drum wrap with those, resulting in an iridescent, slightly colored appearance of the 'fake abalone' pieces.
More pictures of the headdress, as well as the completed costume, can be found here:
http://www.naergilien.info/?p=3489

Pictures on other sites

Beaded front piece, 'Naboo flower'

Collar and brooch

Embroidery on the underdress

Headdress

The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2014 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.